Hi everyone! My content has been a bit of a mess lately but I don’t care because the fact that I’m producing any content makes me happy. 😊 With that being said, I’m not planning to film a full October plan because I would need to talk about SO MANY BOOKS, so for this month I’m going to write a blog post instead.
Since September 15th I’ve been participating in the Latinx Book Bingo readathon, which has been a blast. It’s a month-long readathon spanning Hispanic Heritage Month (Sept. 15- Oct. 15). During that time the Prideathon also took place… and it gave me an idea. I usually don’t participate in readathons because most of the time they’re a week long and that creates way too much pressure for me. I’ve had so much fun with the Latinx Book Bingo challenges, though, especially the additional challenge to read primarily queer Latinx books. When I crafted my TBR for Latinx Book Bingo it was also considering the Prideathon challenges, which meant I was essentially making Prideathon last a whole month too.
Then I starting seeing some fun readathons coming up and I figured, heck, I’ll make those last the whole month too. It works really well because the two I’m picking, Spookathon and WitchAThon, are pretty similar and both draw from spooky fall reads, which I’m super in the mood for right now. In fact, I’m so in the mood for these reads that I’ve put together a list of over 20 books that I’m going to draw from during these readathons. It’s not a TBR so much as a general inkling of what books I want to read. I’ve put library holds on everything and now I’ll wait to see what comes available during October.
Below are the challenges for the two readathons as well as the book I’ve “selected” to go in that space and the readathons’ official dates. In reality many of the books will count for many of the challenges and I plan to mark the challenge as completed if whatever book I’m reading applies to it. I’ll also include a list of other books that would count for at least one of the challenges that I might read instead.
Finally, I’ve got some planned and potential buddy reads. I’ll note most of those in the list, but for the group book for the WitchAThon (The Girl who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill) I’m planning a full month readalong. You can find details for that after my book list.
Without further ado, my massive and ridiculous TBR!
Spookathon! October 15th – October 21st
- Read a thriller: Sadie by Courtney Summers
- Purple on the cover: Strange Grace by Tessa Gratton (possibly a buddy read with Madalyn from Novel Ink)
- Set in a different time period: The Diviners by Libby Bray (not a buddy read but can also be blamed on Madalyn 😉)
- Spooky world in the title: Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand (Destiny at Howling Libraries has me sooooo hyped for this)
- A book with pictures: Moonstruck v. 1 by Grace Ellis and Shae Beagle
- Group read: Toil and Trouble: 15 tales of women and witchcraft by Tess Sharpe
WitchAThon: October 24th – October 31st
- A warm and happy read: When the Moon was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore (also part of Latinx Book Bingo and Prideathon!)
- Read by candlelight: literally anything I’m planning to visually read will fit with this challenge, so I’m not choosing a specific book. If I’m not able to read something visually in October I’ll light a candle while I listen to an audiobook.
- A spooky horror/thriller: Bleeding Earth by Kaitlin Ward
- Paranormal elements: Summer of Salt by Katrina Leno (there are some pretty big triggers in this one, e.g. rape, but I’m so hyped for it that I’m going to try it anyway)
- Ethnic heritage: City of Ghosts by Victoria Schwab
- Buddy read: Certain Dark Things by Silvia Monero-Garcia (also for Latinx Book Bingo! Destiny is doing a group read of this Oct. 7th-11th… check out her Twitter for more info.)
- Group read: The Girl who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill
Some extras I might read instead/in addition:
- The Rook by Daniel O’Malley
- Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
- The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle
- The Backstagers by James Tynion IV and Rian Sygn
- Contagion by Erin Bowman
- And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
- The Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren James
- Scythe by Neil Schustetman
- Executive Privilege by Phillip Margolin
- A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
- A Dash of Trouble by Anna Mariano (also works with Latinx Book Bingo!)
- Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
- The Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs
Added after original posting:
- Spill Zone by Scott Westerfeld
- Last Seen Leaving by Caleb Roehrig
The WitchAThon Readalong!
As we’ve already established, I’m no good at one-week deadlines. So throughout October I’m hosting a readalong of the group book for WitchAThon: The Girl who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill. If you’d like to join let me know over on Twitter and I’ll put together a group message!
Oct 1-8: Chapters 1-13 (pg. 1-89)
Oct 9-15: Chapters 14-24 (pg. 90-180)
Oct 16-22: Chapters 25-36 (pg. 181-258)
Oct 23-31: Chapters 37-48 (pg. 259-332)
This should average out to around 80 pages each week based on my edition.
One final note about these readathons… despite my current cravings for these books/genres/etc. I actually have a low tolerance for dark themes and quite a lot of triggers. I’m going to do what I can to keep myself safe, which might include significant deviations from this list or dropping the readathons altogether. I hope that doesn’t happen and I’ve put a variety of happier stories on here to create some balance, but I wanted to put a disclaimer here just in case.